The Treaty and Strategic Relationships Team carries out a number of kaitiaki functions including:
- Reviewing and presenting a position on Resource Management Consents that impact Ngāti Toa
- Building strategic relationships with our treaty partners (local and central Government) to influence and lead the protection of our natural environments
- Building the capability of uri o Ngāti Toa in environmental management
- Developing opportunities for Ngāti Toa to exercise our role as kaitiaki
- Promoting the overall sustainability of the envrironment.
We believe these opportunities may be realised through education, active kaitiakitanga, contract operations, management, restoration and involvement with other community groups.