Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira Inc. Chair, Dr Taku Parai is pleased to announce that the iwi has today signed a partnership agreement with the Government that will see Ngāti Toa establish themselves as a community housing provider (Te Āhuru Mōwai). Once established, we will upgrade and manage 900 Housing New Zealand properties in Tawa, Elsdon, Takapūwāhia, Titahi Bay and Mana.
In addition, Ngāti Toa will play a variety of roles in the regeneration of eastern Porirua, a commitment which will see $1.5 billion of investment over the next 25 years from the Government.
This exciting opportunity will positively impact many whānau within the Porirua community and directly aligns to our iwi strategic objectives of:
- Oranga (Wellbeing) through enabling and providing healthy and affordable homes;
- Ohanga (Prosperity) through the sustainable growth of our assets; and
- Whai Mana (Our Organisation) by establishing meaningful strategic partnerships that benefit the iwi regionally and nationally.
To enable the eastern Porirua regeneration project to proceed the Trust has agreed to an exchange of rights on a number of the Housing New Zealand properties in eastern Porirua. The exchange stems from our Treaty of Waitangi settlement.
Ngāti Toa Executive Officer Sir Matiu Te Rei says that through Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira Inc. our health and social services have been working with approximately 20,000 people for over 30 years in vulnerable communities. We know that housing is critical for good health. The opportunity to provide warm and safe homes compliments our health service, Ora Toa, in improving health outcomes in the Porirua area.
“This initiative intends to empower and provide the creation of cohesive living spaces for all whānau of all ages and ethnicities. We are hopeful that this initiative will provide an intergenerational positive outcome for both our whānau and our community”. The Rūnanga is committed to this project.
- A Hui will be held on Thursday 29th November 2018 to provide additional information and answer any questions that our Iwi members may have
- If you are a tenant of Housing New Zealand, you should continue to contact Housing New Zealand on 0800 801 601 or visit Housing NZ
- If you have any questions prior to the AGM these can be emailed to email@example.com
Ngāti Toa Rangatira MEDIA STATEMENT | NGĀTI TOA HOUSING REGENERATION
LIVE STREAMED | THURSDAY NOVEMBER 1 2018