Our Culture and Identity
Our Ngāti Toa whakapapa, reo, mātauranga and tikanga are what connects us all as individuals and whānau. It is what underpins our unique identity as Ngāti Toa Rangatira.
Together they are what have led our tūpuna, and continue to lead us today, instilling a sense of pride, passion and commitment to the values that we hold true.
They also lead the aspirations, objectives and operations of Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira.
Our strategic objectives are:
Pukōrero – Whānau are confident in their reo, tikanga, kawa and identity
Haukāinga – Vibrant marae uphold our kawa and serve our varied needs
Tumu kōrero – Whānau who are firmly grounded in our history and whakapapa
Angitūtanga – Celebrating Ngāti Toa Rangatira Culture and Success.
Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira is committed to enabling and empowering all Ngāti Toa to learn, grow, develop and live within tikanga o Ngāti Toa so together we can act as one people striving towards achieving our aspirartions.
The Cultural Services Team leads all the mahi we do in supporting cultural health and prosperity of our whānau.
Our key responsibilities include:
- Supporting and delivering reo, whakapapa, waiata and tikanga wānanga
- Maintaining and developing opportunities to share our whakapapa stories
- Supporting Marae and Kaumātua
- Providing advice and support to Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira on cultural issues
- Promoting and supporting Ngāti Toatanga within our rohe
- Liasing with and supporting the Whakapapa Committee
- Cataloging, archiving and safely storing historical documents and reports
- Facilitating iwi grants
- Supporting Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira to represent the cultural interests of Ngāti Toa with local and central Government.
The Cultural Services Team
Raylene Bishop - General Manager Cultural Services
Ammon Katenen - Kaitiaki Pūrongo (Archivist)